The Evolution of Mara Dyer Review

The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #2) by Michelle Hodkin

13643567

3 stars max.

The writing is ????? 

It's kind of like reading a rated T fanfiction. You know, the ones written by two bored teen girls at a sleepover. 

I hate lines that go like this;

'I did? "I did?", I say.'

WHY?!?!? So many times in the book this happened. 

I had to skip a lot of pages as it was just so boring. By the way, this book doesn't deserve 500+ pages. It could've been cut down far greater. 

The ending was good, I thoroughly enjoyed that. Before the plot twist, I didn't think I was going to carry on reading this series. 

Books like these give me hope that I can become a published writer someday. If THIS writing is out there and respected widely by their target audience, then damnit mine will be too! 

Hodkin seems like a fantastic romance author. She gets the unrelated love scenes between Noah and Mara spot on. But she's trying to break out of that genre and make it somewhat paranormal, and it just isn't working. She'd be better off just writing the romance. It's like her style changes and the wording works 1000x better. The only issue with this is; with this story, it's not REALLY about the romance. It would actually be better without it. Most of the time it almost seems inappropriate after what morbid event occurred.

Eg. "Apparently I slit my wrists and almost died."
"Wow that's so awf- LETS MAKE OUT."

(… my face is quite -_-)

So many booktubers adore this series but I'm wondering why?? What makes it so special from the rest? I'm trying so hard to see why anybody would worship this book. I just can't understand.

I should clarify, I don't hate this book. It's completely underwhelming. That's what I hate. 


I shan't be reading this again.