The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) Review

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan 
5/5 stars (thank god! Finally a book I love)

28187

Okay so maybe my 5 stars is a bit bias as I just finished and I'm so overwhelmed from the ending.

Or maybe it's just an awesomely enjoyable story that I'm so glad I've FINALLY read! 

I think this was the first book on goodreads that I ever marked as "to read". Thanks Goodreads for recommending it to me! I may not be 13 anymore, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

Is it possible to say the book is so charismatic??? Because it is. 

For a tween book- the character development was some of the best I've ever read.

I don't want to write too much for the few that haven't read it. I went int this book not knowing much about it, and I loved it. 3 years ago I saw the movie and thought it was one of the coolest ideas ever. However I wasn't much of a reader so I didn't read the book. I want to hit my past self and make her read this book. I wish I started sooner! 

Spoilers in this para:
I knew from my recollection of the movies (which wasn't much, and I was told it was nothing like the books) that Luke wasn't trustworthy. I feel like some scenes in this were put into the second movie- which doesn't make sense. I'm starting to see why the readers have such a strong hate for the movies. Also, I love Logan Lerman but omg why make the cast late teens when the book starts with them being preteens??? Why? It seems just as uncomfortable as casting a 30 year old to play an 18 year old (I'm looking at you, Glee).

This book was so quirky and I loved reading every bit. I find something relatable in each character (maybe not Ares but whatever) and man, the setting of the book??? So cool. I never want to stop reading about Camp Half Blood. 

(I totally ship Percebeth but it's so shameful, kill me)

I was honestly shocked at the ending (which sort of makes me feel like an idiot)- I totally thought the set up for the next book would then be living in CHB. I should've seen his decision coming once Anabeth decided she's out (lol). I definitely teared up at the end- okay maybe I sobbed a bit too. I just loved how it turned full circle and he was back in the cabin surrounded by all his friends! Jeez, I'm human, okay!? I feel way too much for these fictional characters. 

I know it's odd but I'm tempted to go rewatch the movie just to see what they did wrong. 



I will definitely be reading the rest of the series. I'm going to hit up my library ASAP for copies. Will I reread this? YOU BETCHA. 

I recommend this to; people who need a goofy story with strong characters and some cool mythology. I didn't hi kid like the Gods that much- but they're so sassy. It's great! 

One last thing; when Percy was told a friend will betray him, I immediately thought of Anabeth (sorry). I didn't trust her the entire time and I now regret it (lol).

PS the official pictures are creepy af like:



the other one