Review: Lord of Shadows

Lord of Shadows Lord of Shadows by Cassandra Clare
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Read more bookish goodness on my book blog: Cal's YA Reads

First half of the book was 4 stars.
Second half of the book was 5 stars.
4.5/5 stars overall.

I have sat on my bed for half an hour trying to gather my thoughts. Any spoilers ahead will be tagged, if possible.

Overall, this book was good. I've been reading a lot of SJM lately, so switching to CC's writing was a bit hard. I found Cassie's writing to have a lot more dialogue; which I have developed a disliking to. Many chapters in this book made me feel like I was reading a script. I certainly preferred the latter half of the book; the drama finally picked up. The last 200 pages had me hooked, but for any newcomers to Clare's work, I wouldn't be surprised if they DNF after the first 200 pages. I didn't mind, because I'm used to her character building nowadays.

Positive stuff:
The diversity in this book was out of this world. Phenomenal. You thought SJM mastered all the gayness in fantasy??? Think again. This book makes SJM look like some conservative romance author who has read nothing but the Bible. It's not just sexual stuff, either: mental illness is brilliantly tackled in this book. In particular; autism. As well as topics like: TRANSGENDER PEOPLE. GOD BLESS, CC!!!! I have profound respect to Clare handling the topic in such an innovative way; she really has taken it up a few notches compared to when she first started. I cannot emphasise how important it is that not only are there diverse characters: but Clare writes them in a way that makes sure their diverse features aren't everything about them. They are so much more than that. They are pure, well-loving, CRUCIAL characters in the book. Not sides, not background characters. Thrilling, imperative people in the book. Additionally, I really enjoyed Emma and Julian's storyline the most. I was a bit frustrated at the beginning and middle half, as they got very little scenes that were wedged between all the other storylines going on. I enjoyed the other storylines; but I forgot the terms of Cassie's novels involve you accepting 10000000 different character storylines, and not getting thorough time with each, until the end. I have realised Clare's complete and utter respect for children; something I've always found condescending in YA books. Children are usually not accurately portrayed, usually 10 year olds have the mental ability of 3 year olds, and since I've been reading from such a young age, I used to call out the bullshit and scream internally, asking why the hell are these children invalids? CHILDREN ARE NOT. THEY ARE SMART. THEY ARE YOUNG; NOT STUPID. I thought back to Max Lightwood, and realised CC has always shown such a unique and profound respect for children. Cutest moments were of Tavvy, Max and Rafe giggling; 100%. Fight me. I WANT TO ADOPT TAVVY. CAN HE BE MY SON, PLEASE???

description

Some people have reviewed this book as predictable, but I don't see why. Clary said something at the beginning that made me think, "Oh, this must be it," but I just read the ending. Clary isn't even there. Nobody from the previous novels are; except Malec.

What a complete shitstorm that last chapter was. My mind is reeling. Why was that ending so soon?? We spent so much time dilly-dallying at the beginning, for (I swear) 300+ pages. It was unnecessary.

Negative stuff:
I've already mentioned how brief each moment was with individual storylines, particularly Emma and Julian's, as well as the slow beginning. But there really isn't much to complain. I did find too much dialogue, not enough... idk? Narrative? I don't know how else to phrase it. I really enjoyed LM, but that was before I read ACOTAR, and I regretfully say I think I fell for a bit of the hype last year. I reread LM last week, and found it dragged for me. Maybe I just wasn't in the zone; plus it wasn't a mystery for me anymore, but I wasn't as crazed as I was first time reading. This book was fun because I didn't know what was going to happen, and I did scream a few times to characters' decisions, but ultimately I just felt like shrugging. Maybe I'm growing out of CC's writing.

... shit. I hope not. Cassandra Clare has been my sole favourite author for 4 years. I can't believe what I'm saying.

description

Yo, I'm pissed I have to wait 2 years for the finale. But on the other hand; I'm am so psyched for the Last Hours. All the little hints in this book really... sparked something for me. I think it's clear to me now, that nothing will top TID. That was a perfect trilogy. I think TDA will be too; I appreciate the diversity way more; and I enjoy this story of Shadowhunters who grew up in the world (compared to TID and TMI having the protag foreign to the world). Who knows?

description

A BIG ISSUE I HAD, WHICH MAY REASON WHY I DIDN'T ENJOY THE BOOK AS MUCH: Emma notes that it had been about 2 weeks since the ending of Lady Midnight.

That is NOT enough time for Jules and Emma and Cristina and Mark to be in some sort of angsty-love-square deal. That was the only unrealistic aspect I found within the dynamics of every young adult character there was.

description
I enjoyed Kit's character development in this book, too. You can see him evolve so much by the end of the book.

I may reread every CC book and want to punch myself for ever being so picky, or not enjoying it as much as I thought I would (first time a-round).

Updates/Quotes:
May 26, 2017 – page 83
11.53% "DIEGO'S FIANCÉE?????????
Say what now?!?
(I mean, yay, bc Mark x Cristina would be best, bc then Blackstairs would happen)"

description

May 26, 2017 – page 101
14.03% "OKAY MAJOR SPOILER DISCUSSION AHEAD EVEN THO IVE WARNED YALL;
(view spoiler)
I am in PAIN, waiting for Jules to get a a gf. I DONT WANT IT TO HAPPEN."

description

May 26, 2017 – page 121
16.81% "I WAS NOT EXPECTING(view spoiler) SO SOON OMFG
TY CASSIE"

description

May 26, 2017 – page 151
20.97% "I love that Mark, Cristina, Jules and Emma are going on an adventure.
I hate Zara."



I felt major Nazi military vibes from the Consult and Zara's clique omfg I HATED it. Good job, Cassie. You've written them infuriatingly.



May 26, 2017 – page 155
21.53% "Mark mistaking chocolate for drugs made me snort."

May 26, 2017 – page 164
22.78% "NOOOO
I shipped Ty and Kit!!!(view spoiler)

May 26, 2017 – page 169
23.47% "EMMA AND JULES WITH THEIR HANDS TOGETHER WHILE SLEEPING
MY HEART"

description

May 26, 2017 – page 186
25.83% "(view spoiler) YES U SPILLED THE BEANS
LET MY SHIP REVIVE
JULES AND EMMA FOREVERRRR"

May 27, 2017 – page 190
26.39% "OH NOO MY JULIAN πŸ’”
This broke my heart-- he was catfished!"

May 27, 2017 – page 190
26.39% ""Julian stumbled back. He had never in his life (view spoiler) anyone but Emma; he felt sick now, in his heart and his guts."
KILLMEKILLMEKILLME"

description

May 27, 2017 – page 217
30.14% "It was(view spoiler) ?
Of course! How did I not see this coming??
It's probably not really tho, like the faerie (view spoiler)

May 27, 2017 – page 225
31.25% "Malcolm(view spoiler)

May 27, 2017 – page 265
36.81% ""He kept a firm hold of the one on his lap and looked at Emma levelly."
IM LAUGHING MY HEAD OFF, MY POOR BBY"

description

May 27, 2017 – page 271
37.64% "Can't Jules and Emma just work stuff out?!?!????!!???
I NEED THEM TOGETHER, CASSIE. WHAT R U DOING TO MEEEE????"

May 27, 2017 – page 297
41.25% "I feel like this is the last happy moment in the book,
So I shall close my book and go to bed now!
I WANNA KNOW SO BADLY HOW THE PARABATAI CURSE CAN BE BROKEN"

May 27, 2017 – page 298
41.39% ""though there were valuable first editions of books in the enormous library, most of them had been scribbled in by some idiot (view spoiler)
IM DYING
KIT JUST CALLED (view spoiler) "some idiot""

description

May 27, 2017 – page 307
42.64% "I actually adore (view spoiler) and Dianna! Low key ship.
I LOVE TAVVY. HE'S SUCH A SWEET LIL ANGEL. I WANNA HOLD HIM."

May 27, 2017 – page 322
44.72% ""Someone had scrawled the initials JB+LH into the pain by the window."
Oh. My. God.
What are your guesses for who's initials they are?
I'm thinking Lucy Herondale…"

May 27, 2017 – page 326
45.28% "Jem and Will used to mark their heights in the London institute.
I repeat; JEM AND WILL… USED TO MARK THEIR HEIGHTS… IN THE LONDON INSTITUTE.
My heart is melting!"

description

May 27, 2017 – page 330
45.83% "That was so sweet to see Jesse again ❤️"

May 27, 2017 – page 335
46.53% "YO CASSIE
I S2G…
DO
NOT
MAKE CRISTINA AND JULES GET TOGETHER PLS"

May 27, 2017 – page 344
47.78% "New kink: binding spells.
YES CASSIE
THIS IS AMAZING"

May 27, 2017 – page 369
51.25% "More clues on Blackthorns and Herondales.
CASSIE, YOU TEASE!"

May 27, 2017 – page 379
52.64% "THIS IS MAKING ME WANT TO READ THE LAST HOURS SOOOOO BAD.
I can just TELL that Lucy Herondale's story is going to break my damn heart."

May 27, 2017 – page 422
58.61% "❤️ Ty + Kit ❤️"

May 27, 2017 – page 436
60.56% ""There was no reason to sail down Sexy Thoughts River to the Sea of Perversion when it wasn't going to go anywhere."
Lol Emma I feel for u"

May 27, 2017 – page 468
65.0% ""Almost all of them had been inscribed on the inside cover by a (view spoiler) who had nearly written out his favourite lines."
Cassie
Girl
I'm sold. I was already eager to read anything you publish; BUT I NEEEEED THE LAST HOURS. IMMEDIATELY."

May 28, 2017 – page 494
68.61% "Julian is turning quite… dark. Uh oh…
There's not enough scenes with Jules and Emma!!!"

description

May 28, 2017 – page 496
68.89% "holY SHIT KIERAN"

May 28, 2017 – page 505
70.14% "Shiiiiiit. Emma and Jules are out there, and so are Kit, Ty, and Liv. MY BBYS.
At least (view spoiler) is safe.
Can't Kit, Ty and Liv just be a happy lil threesome??? Like lgbt stuff has been addressed well by CC, but WHAT ABOUT POLYGAMY?!?!!!! I don't want anybody hurt 😩"

May 28, 2017 – page 524
72.78% "TOO MANY BLACKSTAIRS QUOTES
IM DYING
I AM CRYING
THAT WAS SO EMOTIONAL
GOD DAMNIT, CASSIE
YOURE BREAKING MY HEART"

description

May 28, 2017 – page 533
74.03% "BEST ACTION SCENE I HAVE EVER READ
FROM ANY BOOK
HOLY CRAP
MY MIND IS REELING FROM HOW WELL IT WAS WRITTEN
lightning storms, sword fights, ancient god warriors?????????? AMAZING."


description

May 28, 2017 – page 541
75.14% "YES THEYRE GON GET IT ON
ITS BABY MAKING TIME
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
(view spoiler)
Boi u could ask me to call u DaddySlayer999 and I'd still bend over dang"

description

May 28, 2017 – page 541
75.14% ""'Break my heart,' he said. 'Break it in pieces. I give you permission.'"
excuse me while I go DIE"

description

May 28, 2017 – page 556
77.22% "Well… fuck.
The only way to break their parabatai bond is if they(view spoiler)
Idk if I want that.
Who am I kidding?
SCREW IT. I NEED JULES AND EMMA TOGETHER."

description

May 28, 2017 – page 566
78.61% "YOU GUYS THERES TRANS PPL IN THIS BOOK
(view spoiler)
GOD BLESS CASSIE"

May 28, 2017 – page 583
80.97% "Shit has gotten so real idek how I can sleep now… or wait another year or so to read the ending. FUCKKKKK.
Somebody hold me. Too much is going on. I have an exam tomorrow but all I will think about is this damn book omfg."

May 28, 2017 – page 604
83.89% "Ty is blushing!!! 😍😍"

May 28, 2017 – page 613
85.14% "Wow, Julian. That speech was almost as heartfelt as Jace's was in City of Glass…"

May 28, 2017 – page 628
87.22% ""'I never thought Jace and Clary would be topped by anyone else in terms of insane, self-destructive decisions, but you all are giving them a run for their money.'"
!!!"

May 28, 2017 – page 655
90.97% "Ty's letter was so sweet.
I like the unexpected reactions from these characters. They're so realistic and relatable; not always heroes. They are such a great group. Cassie has created such diverse people; I appreciate it, dearly.
I'm not ready to finish this book, and wait another 2 more years…"

May 28, 2017 – page 690
95.83% "FUCK NO ANNABELLE JUST (view spoiler)
NOW MY PARABATAI BAES WILL NEVER FIX THEMSELVES"

description

May 29, 2017 – Finished Reading


Things I Can't EVEN rn:

Death:
(view spoiler) I think it would have been more effective if it was Ty. I think we are all attached more to him.

Crack Theory:
(view spoiler)
Do you think this broke their parabatai bond???

description

Comment your thoughts, please! I NEED ANSWERS.

Now I'm going to watch polandbananabooks' 30 minute book talk on this book. I may come back to edit some things. :)</["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]></["br"]>

View all my reviews

Comments