Lolita Review

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov



Of course this is a sick concept. But I love the complexity nonetheless.

It is written so beautifully. From beginning to end, I never once read a sentence that I thought was worth less than the 5/5 star rating I've given the novel.

You can easily take either side for this novel: H.H. was a gross, pedophilic man, or Lo was responsible for H.H.'S obsession.

I choose both.

I will never say that it's Lolita'a fault that any of this happened-- she was 12 and deranged (from the sounds of it). But she was looking to cause trouble. She was just caught in the worst case scenario of repercussions.

You can read the guilt from H.H. throughout the entire novel, which proves he knew he did wrong, but had enough 'love' to carry through. I love the format of him addressing the readers. I cannot describe how well this adds to the book.

I do believe this is a love tragedy. I have my reasons. Some choose to dismiss them, because they're focusing so much (and rightfully so) on the gross behaviour of H.H.

I watched the movie (c. 1997 version) years ago and was terrified.

This book is the only true way to have this tale delivered. No matter how great the film(/s) was.

And yes, I did bawl my eyes out at the end. I shouldn't have, but I did. Every little thing H picked up when he reunited with Lo was so bittersweet, I wept away. Giving her $4000, begging her to run away with him, for a better life?????????

Ugh. This story is haunting.

Comments