Review: The Awakening / The Struggle

The Awakening / The Struggle The Awakening / The Struggle by L.J. Smith
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Read more bookish goodness on my book blog: Cal's YA Reads

4.5/5 stars.

Oh… my… god.

Well that was… brilliant!!!

I really didn't like the first book. The edition I read, had books 1&2.

It was slow, predictable, and every girl was shallow and 2 dimensional. Especially Eleana. She was the biggest Valley Girl of them all.

Which isn't a bad thing; I'm not shaming (too much). It's just… the two Salvatore's, fall for her with some profound, emotional attachment… meanwhile we see first hand that she's… vapid but annoyingly naive???

And then book 2 started; AND IN CAME DAMON.

Y

E

S.

God bless, Damon Salvatore. Can you tell I'm a big Delena fan? No? Let me emphasise it one more time; I LOVE DAMON.

A much more interesting character, with unpredictable motives overall. He's dark and not as cringey with instalove like Stefan, and tbh I totally feel his need for vengeance.

The Katherine parts were bla bla after a while-- I did like her at the start. She's just as deranged as she was in the tv-- they kept her storyline very similar. I appreciate that.

I like this more than the TV show lol. I'm probably the only one out there.

I won't go into depth about this; but wow there's a lot of inspiration you can see that Steph Meyer… "borrowed". (Seriously omfg).

I can't wait to read more of these! Delena better be endgame. Ugh. If it isn't; I will probably rate the book 1 star. Because that ending would ruin the whole thing for me; and cheapen it dramatically.

View all my reviews

Comments