Review: Illuminae

Illuminae Illuminae by Amie Kaufman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

4.95/5 intergalactic stars.

OKAY SO THIS WOULD'VE BEEN 5/5 IF IT WASN'T SO HARD TO READ AND IF IT DIDN'T TAKE ME EXACTLY 2 MONTHS TO READ.

So it took me exactly 2 months to read this book and I've actually forgotten so much so I'mma share w/ yall my updates and then have a mini discussion at the end.

Long story short?

I loved the book. It was great. It was super unique. It was a long read. You definitely can't read this in a night. You must have patience for everything going on in this book. You must also like that 'quirky' device authors use in recent YA books, where a lot of conversations (actually; all, in this book) are written over IMs. Usually; I loathe it. But for this book? (mostly) Great!

Updates
March 31, 2017 –
page 450
 75.13% "Okay woah this is getting so weird with AIDAN being "in love" with Kady . It's good to come back to this book-- I haven't picked it up for ages! It's in a really slow pace right now, and its killing me…"

February 19, 2017 –
page 417
 69.62% "HOLY CRAP so much is happening I want to cry for Kady she is holding the universe and why is Byron Zhang so crazy omfg I'd say he turned into a zombie but he's just being a crazy scientist????  And then Ezra made a pic of Kady. Lol. It's the end of the world and he did that."

 63.61% "Omfg (spoiler)
Kady has made it onto the ship!!!"

February 17, 2017 –
page 345
  57.6% "Zombies, zombies everywhere.
And thank god, my faves made contact. At least they're both alive!!"

February 17, 2017 –
page 301
  50.25% "I'm getting bored of the AIDAN moments... let me see my faves again pls"

February 16, 2017 –
page 199
 33.22% "GODAMN I SHIP THEM SO MUCH AHHHHH their little 7 mins of banter is so cute I completely forget I'm even reading a book and not perving on somebody's PMs…"

February 16, 2017 –
page 126
 21.04% "I'm LOVING these IMs between Ezra and James. They are so funny, and he authors have got the current teen slang down pat. It's not cringey, and it's made me laugh in the library 2x now. LOVING THIS SLOW READ."

February 16, 2017 –
page 60
 10.02% "I'm laughing so hard rn ik it's meant to be a sad moment that imitates mass tragedies like 9/11 but all I see are these hilarious stock images"

February 16, 2017 –
page 28
 4.67% "I feel like more than half the info is just for show for us to see how well researched the authors were to make this world BUT I JUST WANT THE PLOT. PLEASE DONT SHOW ME IRRELEVANT INFO. PLS."

February 16, 2017 –
page 1
  0.17% "1 page in and I'm already groaning bc the dating is set in American format fml this is gonna bug me so much"

February 16, 2017 –
page 0
  0.0% "I'm nervous to read this; when it first released, I saw a lot of negative reviews on my feed. But as time has passed, I've seen more of my friends enjoy it. Wish me luck!"
February 16, 2017 – Started Reading


So you can see; this book was a rollercoaster. I have Gemina next to me, ready to read. But I may pass until I'm ready for a slow read.

READ THIS BOOK. IT'S GREAT. EVEN IF YOU DON'T LIKE SCIFI. IT'S GREAT.
It's a bit weird; but GREAT nontheless.


View all my reviews

Comments