Marked (House of Night #1) Review

Marked (House of Night #1) by P.C. Cast , Kristin Cast

6567023

2/5 stars.

Man, this book sucked.

I had really high expectations, because the blurb sounded awesome!

I thought it'd be like a Rose Hathaway being called to some dark destiny with a super cute vampire Bae.

I was wrong.

I hate to write reviews about books that failed my expectations, so I'll keep it short.

- the writing was unbelievable in every aspect (what kind of name is Stevie Rae, anyway??)
Other examples:

"Speaking of boobs-- I was totally sounding like one. (Boob... hee hee)."

"What about saying 'hell'? It was my favourite cuss word ever."

"I'm not gay"-- is only attracted to females throughout the entire novel, and when describes boys it's like describing bread.

"Was I becoming a vampyre slut" I think not, as you have yet to say anything but "Hell!" (You naughty girl)

"I really hate it when girls do that. I mean, yes, she's older, but I have boobs, too"-- I COULD'VE THROWN MY KINDLE INTO A FIRE WHEN I READ THAT, I SWEAR


So overall, I found it hard to see this as a perspective of a 16 year old girl. The book started off really strong!! WHAT HAPPENED AFTER THE FIRST 20 PAGES????

Also, I'm not a fan of the whole crossover between Greek mythology and vampires. There wasn't enough vampire goodness for me to enjoy this book. I love both concepts separately; but together, they suck.

I'd give this book 1 star but honestly it's not the absolutely worst I've read. The perspective was just a little too immature for me-- a 17 year old girl who's read basically every vampire fiction made under the sun.

TL;DR: it was boring and immature. I shan't read it again. It's a shame I bought this.

the other one

Comments